CERTIFIED LEED NC 2.2 SILVER
Even though small in scale, the project posed challenges. A vintage Craftsman brown shingle completed in 1918 by John Galen Howard, UC Berkeley’s first campus architect, old Naval Architecture is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Its original footprint, wood finishes and other architectural details had to be preserved and thus provided inspiration for the new wing. Also driving the design was the goal of creating a central hub for engineering and for interdisciplinary collaboration. The old and new buildings are connected by a first-level terrace and a second-level bridge, and both are connected to Sutardja Dai Hall, home of the Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS), by a concrete plaza.
Project sustainability features:
- The facility incorporates natural materials like western red cedar and reclaimed teak as well as sustainable features like skylights, daylight sensors and energy-saving landscaping.
Project Management: KSD Group
Campus Advocate: Central Campus
Landscape Architect: Gensler Architects with Knapp Architects, historic preservation
General Contractor: Hatheway Dinwiddie
For more information about this project, please contact: Judy Chess at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (510) 643-8689.